LOW-POWER DC/DC BOOST CONVERTER IN SOT-23 AND SON PACKAGES
• 1.8-V to 6-V Input Voltage Range
• Adjustable Output Voltage Range up to 28 V
• 400-mA (TPS61040) and 250-mA (TPS61041)
Internal Switch Current
• Up to 1-MHz Switching Frequency
• 28-mA Typical No-Load Quiescent Current
• 1-mA Typical Shutdown Current
• Internal Soft Start
• Available in SOT23-5, TSOT23-5,
and 2 × 2 × 0.8-mm SON Packages
• LCD Bias Supply
• White-LED Supply for LCD Backlights
• Digital Still Camera
• PDAs, Organizers, and Handheld PCs
• Cellular Phones
• Internet Audio Player
• Standard 3.3-V/5-V to 12-V Conversion
The TPS61040/41 is a high-frequency boost converter dedicated for small to medium LCD bias supply and white LED backlight supplies. The device is ideal to generate output voltages up to 28 V from a dual cell NiMH/NiCd or a single cell Li-Ion battery.
The part can also be used to generate standard 3.3-V/5-V to 12-V power conversions.
The TPS61040/41 operates with a switching frequency up to 1 MHz. This allows the use of small external components using ceramic as well as tantalum output capacitors. Together with the thin SON package, the TPS61040/41 gives a very small overall solution size. The TPS61040 has an internal 400 mA switch current limit, while the TPS61041 has a 250-mA switch current limit, offering lower output voltage ripple and allows the use of a smaller form factor inductor for lower power applications. The low quiescent current (typically 28 mA) together with an optimized control scheme, allows device operation at very high efficiencies over the entire load current range.