Dot Matrix Liquid Crystal Display Controller/Driver
The HD44780U dot-matrix liquid crystal display controller and driver LSI displays alphanumerics,
Japanese kana characters, and symbols. It can be configured to drive a dot-matrix liquid crystal display
under the control of a 4- or 8-bit microprocessor. Since all the functions such as display RAM, character
generator, and liquid crystal driver, required for driving a dot-matrix liquid crystal display are internally
provided on one chip, a minimal system can be interfaced with this controller/driver.
A single HD44780U can display up to one 8-character line or two 8-character lines.
The HD44780U has pin function compatibility with the HD44780S which allows the user to easily replace
an LCD-II with an HD44780U. The HD44780U character generator ROM is extended to generate 208 5 ×
8 dot character fonts and 32 5 × 10 dot character fonts for a total of 240 different character fonts.
The low power supply (2.7V to 5.5V) of the HD44780U is suitable for any portable battery-driven product
requiring low power dissipation.
- 5 × 8 and 5 × 10 dot matrix possible
- Low power operation support:
- 2.7 to 5.5V
- Wide range of liquid crystal display driver power
- 3.0 to 11V
- Liquid crystal drive waveform
- A (One line frequency AC waveform)
- Correspond to high speed MPU bus interface
- 2 MHz (when VCC = 5V)
- 4-bit or 8-bit MPU interface enabled
- 80×8-bit display RAM (80 characters max.)
- 9,920-bit character generator ROM for a total of 240 character fonts
- 208 character fonts (5 × 8 dot)
- 32 character fonts (5 × 10 dot)